MRFF 2022 Frontier Health and Medical Research Grant
- Applications are open until: 26 March 2026
- Grants: up to $25 million
MRFF 2022 Frontier Health and Medical Research Grant Opportunity supports medical research and program to develop novel health technologies and/or re-purpose existing health technology in a novel way. Available funding is up to $25,000,000 per project. The research program is anticipating to delivery of new treatments for currently serious and incurable health conditions through a series of related projects.
The process of acquiring funding has 2 stages:
- Expression of Interest (EOI): outlining a proposed program of research with a 10-year time horizon
- Full application: for a project of up to 5 years under the program of research. Full applications may be submitted by invitation only.
With the intention of achieving full implementation of the proposed technology in 10 years, applicants may propose to start research at any stage in the research pipeline from proof-of-concept.
EOI is expected to close on 31 March 2026, with the last grants awarded by 30 June 2027.
What is eligible for funding?
Eligible activities must relate to the project directly and may include the following:
- personnel recruitment
- other direct research expenses.
Eligible locations: The majority of the research activities and funding expenditure is expected to occur in Australia.
The grant funds can only be spent on eligible expenditures incurred on an agreed project defined in your grant agreement.
Eligible expenditure must:
- be a direct project expense
- be incurred by you for required project audit activities
- be incurred between the grant start and completion dates.
What companies are eligible for funding?
Researchers with innovative projects in the health and medical sector are encouraged to apply.
You can apply if you:
- have an Australian business number (ABN)
- are incorporated in Australia
and in accordance with s24 of the MRFF Act 2015, be one of the following entities:
- a medical research institute
- a university
- a corporate Commonwealth entity
- a corporation (including business and not-for-profits).
We can only accept applications where you can provide:
- evidence from your board (or chief executive officer or equivalent if there is no board) that the project is supported, and that you can complete the project and meet the costs of the project not covered by grant funding
- letters of support from each project partner, where applicable
- audited financial statements or annual reports.
In addition you must not duplicate any research that has been or is currently being undertaken. You must list all members of your research team (Chief Investigators), to a maximum of 15. A Chief Investigator cannot be named on more than one active expression of interest/full application.
Is this grant competitive or entitlement-based?
Competitive. Your application will be assessed among other applications by a judging panel.
How can I increase my chances of winning this grant?
By engaging an accredited government grants consultant, such as Avant Group.
Competitive grants often require significant business case development and project analysis to support the application, this may include detailed presentations supporting the project’s merit, projected sales, cost-benefit analysis and more.
As part of your engagement with Avant Group, your account manager will assess the required documents and will provide the following as needed to support your grant submission.
Grant application writeup including a detailed presentation illustrating how the grant funding will contribute to your project, how the funding will contribute to the project’s budget, a project milestone plan, delivery timeline, impact on employment if applicable and a breakdown of the management and leadership team for the project
- Industry analysis presentation
- Competitor Analysis Presentation
- Marketing and Sales Analysis Presentation
- 3-5 year Cashflow Forecast
- 3-5 year Balance Sheet Forecast
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Grant Funding
- End-to-end grant application including information collating, analysis and application writing
- CAPEX (Capital Expenditure) cost-benefit analysis
- Stakeholder relations and Risk Mitigation Plans
- Any other relevant forecasting that will support your application
How can I get help with my application? Or know if I’m likely to win funding?
Avant Group offers a no-obligation assessment of your eligibility for funding and will assess your likelihood of a successful grant application.