This grant has expired.
This grant has expired and is no longer available. However, please contact Avant Group in case there are alternative grants available or to be informed if this grant will reopen.
Breakthrough Victoria Fund – Catalyst for Change Stream
The Breakthrough Victoria Fund - Catalyst for Change investment stream addresses the funding gap between a minimum viable product and meeting market need. It invests in commercial entities that have demonstrated some early market traction and have tested market need and alignment.
- Applications Open: Now
- Grants typically up to $10 million per investment
The Catalyst for Change investment stream is designed to generate revenue and returns for investors although there is, of course, risk.
Investment could typically take the form of:
- Direct investment by way of equity, commercial support, convertible loan or debt
- Co-investors investing alongside Breakthrough Victoria.
What is eligible for funding?
- Have novel and protected (or soon-to-be protected) IP related to a substantial societal or economic challenge with an identified market need.
- Provide a potentially unique, innovative solution to a substantial societal or economic challenge.
- Provide matched funding as a minimum, as well as a plan for sustainable operations.
- Deliver or support economic benefits to Victoria, including the potential for commercial returns.
- Bring significant job creation.
- Position Victoria as a key participant in Asia Pacific or global markets.
- Be situated in Victoria or commit to relocate to Victoria.
As well as having novel and protected IP with high commercial potential that could lead to substantial economic and employment outcomes in Victoria, proponents must submit a business case with:
- A validated target market, or area of need.
- Solid projections for market traction, revenue and returns.
- A plan to scale operations.
- A contribution to broader environmental, sustainability or social well-being goals.
- Economic benefits to Victoria including job creation, investment attraction, reduced public spend, or delivery of a social good.
- Acknowledgment of any partners pertinent to the project and evidence of financial and in-kind commitment.
Projects may also be favourably assessed if they:
- Enable or contribute to the development of sovereign manufacturing capability of critical products.
- Deliver broader economic benefit such as workforce or skills uplift or opportunities.
- Leverage existing investment or have the potential to attract further co-investment.
- Demonstrate regulatory pathways.
- Show a path to market.
- Demonstrate future pipeline for technology or capability development.
- Have an IP portfolio management plan.
- Present a feasibility study including impact assessment.
- Have a cost benefit analysis.
- Attract other funding including Commonwealth, philanthropic or other investors.
What companies are eligible for funding?
Businesses and entities that can apply are:
- Companies of any size, at the pre-revenue or revenue stage.
- Joint ventures, consortia, special purpose vehicles, comprised of either industry or research organisations, or a combination.
- Situated in Victoria or willing to relocate to Victoria.
Is this grant competitive or entitlement based?
Competitive. Your application will be assessed among other applications by a judging panel.
How can I increase my chances of winning this grant?
By engaging an accredited government grants consultant, such as Avant Group.
Competitive grants often require significant business case development and project analysis to support the application, this may include detailed presentations supporting the project’s merit, projected sales, cost-benefit analysis and more.
As part of your engagement with Avant Group, your account manager will assess the required documents and will provide the following as needed to support your grant submission.
Grant application writeup including a detailed presentation illustrating how the grant funding will contribute to your project, how the funding will contribute to the project’s budget, a project milestone plan, delivery timeline, impact on employment if applicable and a breakdown of the management and leadership team for the project
- Industry analysis presentation
- Competitor Analysis Presentation
- Marketing and Sales Analysis Presentation
- 3-5 year Cashflow Forecast
- 3-5 year Balance Sheet Forecast
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Grant Funding
- End-to-end grant application including information collating, analysis and application writing
- CAPEX (Capital Expenditure) cost-benefit analysis
- Stakeholder relations and Risk Mitigation Plans
- Any other relevant forecasting that will support your application
How can I get help with my application? Or know if I’m likely to win funding?
Avant Group offers a no-obligation assessment of your eligibility for funding and will assess your likelihood of a successful grant application.
This fund was extremely popular in the last round so talk to an Avant Group Advisor today to assess eligibility and register your interest.